Handling a Drunk and Aggressive Driver After a Car Accident

Involvement in a motor vehicle accident is overwhelming enough, especially if the perpetrator is drunk or aggressive. If the person who caused your accident was driving while intoxicated or is behaving aggressively or violently, it is imperative you look out for your safety first.  

Once the immediate aftermath of the accident has been settled and all parties are safe from further damage, it is time to begin moving toward getting legal justice for your injuries. Nobody should be injured by an individual driving drunk or aggressively and walk away with piles of bills and visits to the doctor. Driving while intoxicated is a serious crime, especially when it directly results in your injury. To get the process started, speak with a knowledgeable attorney from Kuzmich Law Firm P.C. today.

3 Steps to Handling a Drunk and Aggressive Driver After an Accident

Encountering a belligerent driver in Texas after their recklessness has caused your accident can be a scary situation to be in. It’s vital you consider your safety first and then proceed to check off the regular to-dos of a car accident, like checking the outside of your vehicle. If the substances and accident have made the driver particularly violent or aggressive, it is recommended you call the police immediately as a precaution. Three additional steps to handling the aftermath of a drunk driving accident include:

File A Police Report

Don’t let their aggressiveness deter you from filing a police report. It is important to put your safety first, so if that means calling the police from your vehicle, then do that. A police report is a way to hold the at-fault party accountable for their intoxicated driving and act as evidence when it comes time to file your personal injury claim. 

If you feel particularly uncomfortable, you can ask the operator to remain on the phone with you. Limit conversation with the other driver, and avoid placing blame until the officers arrive at the crime scene. 

Gather Evidence

In a case where it may not be safe to leave your motor vehicle due to fear of threatened violence, you can still gather evidence. This can include photographs of your injuries from inside your motor vehicle or even video footage from your phone of the scene or the driver’s aggressive behavior. It is not recommended you outright film the intoxicated driver, as it may increase their belligerent actions. 

When navigating a drunk driver that you believe may pose a credible threat, do not worry about collecting a bunch of evidence. If you are unable to do so safely, your attorney can help you assess and collect after. They will use their connections to obtain time-sensitive information, like traffic camera footage, eyewitness testimony, BAC reports, and more. Other data, like your police report or medical report, can be used to build your case as well. 

Contact Your Attorney

To ensure you get the financial justice and compensation you deserve after your motor vehicle accident, contact a personal injury attorney as soon as possible. When another driver chooses to operate their motor vehicle while under the influence of an illegal substance, they are breaching their owed duty of care to other drivers on the road. When this breach directly causes an accident, they may be found liable for their reckless and illegal behavior. 

Your attorney will work diligently to file your claim within the two-year statute of limitations, build your case, and get you the economic and non-economic damages you need to fully recover. 

Been the Victim of a Drunk Driving Accident? Speak With a Prestigious Attorney Today

Don’t try to navigate the aftermath of a drunk driving accident alone. Insurance companies are not your friend, and filing a claim without the assistance of an experienced attorney can result in dismissed cases and startlingly low settlements. Steve Kuzmich is a board-certified attorney who has over 28 years of experience. With Kuzmich Law Firm P.C. you are getting the best possible representation for your case. 

Let us fight for you and begin to build your claim today. To get started, please call our office at (972) 434-1555.